District History

  • Established in 1877 

    The Webb City School District was established in 1877 to serve the students of Webb City. Prior to the establishment of the Webb City Reorganized School District in 1968, area youth who lived outside the Webb City School District was educated in numerous one-room rural school districts and in high school districts in incorporated communities nearby. Over the years, consolidation and reorganization plans were initiated with the goal of providing better quality educational programs in a more efficient manner. In September 1968, the final reorganization took place when the Carterville School District voted, as had Alba in 1967, to become part of the Jasper County Reorganized School District R-VII, to be known and referred to as the Webb City R-7 School District. 

    Below is a listing of the individual school districts that once operated within what is now the Webb City R-7 School District: 

    Pearl Hill Rural School consolidated with Oronogo School District 
    Jackson Rural School consolidated with the Carterville School District 
    Tower of Light Rural School consolidated with the Carterville School District 
    Neck City School District consolidated with Alba School District 
    Purcell School District consolidated with Alba School District 
    Prairie Flower Rural School consolidated with Webb City School District 
    Prosperity Rural School consolidated with Webb City School District 
    Perseverance Rural School consolidated with Webb City School District 
    Underwood Rural School consolidated with Webb City School District 
    Oronogo School District reorganized with Webb City School District in 1964 
    Alba School District reorganized with Webb City School District in 1967 
    Carterville School District reorganized with Webb City School District

     

First Webb City School Building
  • Webb City School District Superintendents

    1888-1890 Theodore Axline
    1890-1895 W.F. Stevens
    1895-1902 A.G. Young
    1925-1927 George E. Masters
    1979-1998 Dr. Ronald R. Barton
    1902-1904 J.E. Gray
    1904-1905 J.W. Storms
    1905-1912 R.S. Nichlos
    1912-1920 C. A. Greene
    1920-1923 C.W. Oldham
    1923-1925 M.F. Hale
    1927-1951 D.R. McDonald
    1951-1958 Robert Clark
    1958-1979 Lawrence L. Miner
    1979-1998 Dr. Ronald R. Barton
    1998-2010 Dr. Ronald L. Lankford
    2010 - present  Dr. Anthony Rossetti