Community Storm Shelter Information
The Webb City School District has four community safe rooms available to you in the event of severe weather. The four locations are:
- Harry S Truman, 810 N. HWY D Webb City, MO - MAX CAPACITY 988
- Carterville Elementary, 210 E Hall Street, Carterville, MO - MAX CAPACITY 1,141
- Madge T. James, 211 W Aylor Street, Webb City, MO - MAX CAPACITY 1,394
- Webb City High School Dome, 621 N Madison St., Webb City, MO - MAX CAPACITY 2,600
Community Safe Room Guidelines and Rules
- During school hours, students and staff have priority for Safe Room occupancy.
- The Safe Room is open only to the public when a tornado warning or a severe weather event with winds in excess of 75 mph has been issued in our area and/or the tornado sirens have been sounded.
- The Safe Room will remain open only until the watch and/or warning is lifted. When the watch and/or warning expires, the Safe Room must be evacuated.
- During school hours, a Safe Room Manager is in charge and will be on duty to maintain the facility and to close it after the watch and/or warning expires. After school hours a volunteer Safe Room Supervisor will be in charge. Please follow the directions of the Safe Room Manager/Supervisor or other school personnel at all times.
- Weapons are prohibited in the Safe Room and on all school property.
- Smoking or the use of tobacco in any form is prohibited in Safe Rooms and on all school property.
- Alcohol and drugs (other than those prescribed by a doctor) are prohibited in Safe Rooms and on all school property.
- As per FEMA guidelines, no animals are allowed in Community Safe Rooms.
- Radios or music devices may be used only with individual earphones.
- Safe Room doors must be closed at all times.