Welcome to the WCHS Student Resources Home Page!
Attention AP Students!
AP Students ONLY: Google accounts should be back on now for students who are currently enrolled in an AP class. Please remember to pay your chromebook insurance by Friday, August 16 so your google account doesn't get shut off again. Thank you!
Yearbook - Early Bird Special
Take advantage of the early bird special and buy your yearbook between July 30 and August 16 for only $25.00! Order online at yearbookordercenter.com and use order number 17290 or you can place your order during the two schedule pick up days on July 30 & August 1. You may also contact Mrs. Busby at the high school to pick up or drop off an order form.
Don't miss out on this great opportunity to purchase a yearbook at a discounted price!
Tech HelpDesk Announcements
2019-20 WCHS Chromebook Insurance Agreement (opens a google doc)
Summer Chromebook Information
DO I GET TO TAKE MY CHROMEBOOK HOME FOR THE SUMMER?
Yes, unless you:
- are currently in check in/check out
- are moving to another school district this summer
- might be moving to another school district over the summer
- have unpaid chromebook repair fines
- prefer not to take your chromebook home for the summer
- have a damaged chromebook and it needs to be repaired
I’M MOVING OR I THINK I MIGHT BE MOVING. WHEN SHOULD I TURN IN MY CHROMEBOOK?
If you already know you will not be attending school here next year, or if you think you might be moving out of the district over the summer, please turn in your chromebook, charger, and bag after your last class/final is over. If you end up not moving, we will give you back your chromebook when you pay your chromebook insurance for the next school year.
If you leave the Webb City R7 School District without turning in your school issued device, we will report it as stolen to the local police department.
I DIDN’T KNOW I WAS MOVING THIS SUMMER. WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH MY CHROMEBOOK?
If your family decides to move to a new district over the summer, please return your Chromebook, bag, and charger to Webb City School District’s Central Office Monday-Thursday between 9:00am and 2:00pm. Central Office is located directly south of Webb City High School at 411 N. Madison St. Webb City, MO 64870. Please make sure the chromebook charger is in the bag and you have removed all personal items.
If you leave the Webb City R7 School District without turning in your school issued device, we will report it as stolen to the local police department.
I DON’T WANT TO TAKE MY CHROMEBOOK HOME THIS SUMMER OR MY PARENTS DON’T WANT ME TO TAKE IT HOME. WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH MY CHROMEBOOK?
If you would like to leave your Chromebook at school over the summer instead of taking it home, or your parents don’t want you to take it home for the summer, feel free to drop it off at the Library after you finish your last class or final. Please make sure your ID card is in the bag and you might want to put your charger in the bag so you don’t lose it over the summer. You can pick up your chromebook after you pay your chromebook insurance for the next school year.
MY CHROMEBOOK NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED. CAN YOU FIX IT OVER THE SUMMER?
Yes. If your chromebook is damaged, please drop it off at the HelpDesk before you leave for the summer. Please be sure to fill out the summer repair paper so we know what to look for when we are ready to repair it. Please note that if you drop off your chromebook in May for repairs, you will not get it back until school starts in August. We will try our best to get it repaired before the insurance collection day, but this is not guaranteed. When the repair is done, you will receive an email to your school account or to a personal email account you provide that will let you know if you owe any money for the repair and when you can pick up your device. You will need to pay for any chargeable repairs when you pick up your device.
WHAT IF MY CHROMEBOOK BREAKS OR HAS OTHER ISSUES OVER THE SUMMER?
The tech department will not be accepting damaged chromebooks over the summer. If you damage your Chromebook or if it becomes inoperable over the summer, please shut it down, put it in a safe place for the rest of the summer and then bring it with you when you pay your chromebook insurance. The date for Grades 10-12 Schedule Pickup, Locker Assignments, and 2019-20 Chromebook Insurance Payments will be:
Tuesday, July 30
- Seniors 8:30 am
- Juniors 10:00 am
- Sophomores 1:30 pm
We will be set up in the commons area by the Main Office. We do not accept debit cards, only cash or checks.
If you have a damaged device, you can drop it off on July 30 and we will try our best to get it repaired before school starts on August 14. However, this is not guaranteed as the beginning of school is a very busy time for the tech department. When the repair is done, you will receive an email to your school account or to a personal email account you provide that will let you know if you owe any money for the repair and when you can pick up your device. If school has already started, you will be contacted by the HelpDesk during school hours. You will need to pay for any chargeable repairs when you pick up your chromebook or you have the option to go into temporary check-in/check-out.
WILL MY CHROMEBOOK BE MONITORED OVER THE SUMMER?
Yes, your Chromebook WILL be monitored over the summer. If any flagged activity in violation of the Student Acceptable Use Policy is detected, you will be put into Restricted Access and/or your account will be disabled for the rest of the summer, depending upon the severity of the violation. Please be prepared to have a conversation about the violation with one of the Principals when you return to school in August. If you are placed in Restricted Access, you will need a principal’s permission to be taken out.
SUMMER DOS AND DON'TS:
- Please don’t leave your chromebook in a vehicle, even while at home. Vehicle thefts are very common.
- If your Chromebook is lost or stolen over the summer, you must file a police report and inform the tech department at 673-6010 ext. 286. Please refer to the current Student Insurance Policy for information about what to do if a chromebook is lost or stolen.
- Keep your chromebook in a cool, dry place and out of direct sunlight.
- Do not leave your Chromebook in a hot car or outside in the heat, sun, or rain. Be careful if you are using it near water.
- If you don’t plan to use your chromebook much over the summer, make sure you turn it off before storing it so the battery doesn’t run down completely. Also, put it on the charger at least once or twice over the summer. If you have an HP chromebook, please don’t let the battery get below 20% or you run the risk of killing the battery completely. If your HP chromebook won’t turn on, put it on the charger for at least 24 hours and see if that helps.
- If a key pops off, don't pick off the rubber nub that's underneath the key and make sure you don’t bend the metal brackets, either. We can replace the key as long as the rubber nub and metal brackets are not damaged.
- Remember that your chromebook, charger, and bag are school property and should not be misused or abused in any way. Having these devices to use year-round is a privilege so please respect that and take good care of your device and use it appropriately.
- *IMPORTANT* Your chromebook, bag, and charger will need to be returned to the high school or to Central Office before you leave the school district. If you don’t return the chromebook, we will report it as stolen to the local police department.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN SCHOOL STARTS IN AUGUST:
2019-20 CHROMEBOOK INSURANCE
The first page of the 2019-20 Insurance Agreement will be mailed to your home over the summer. (mid July) It will also be available at the High School’s Front Office starting Wednesday, July 24.
Please fill out/sign the INSURANCE AGREEMENT paper and bring it with the $15 cash/check to the Insurance Collection day. If paying by check, please make the check out to Webb City High School.
Please note that high school students will need to turn in their insurance paper and money to the high school and junior high students will need to turn in their insurance paper/money to the junior high. We cannot accept each other’s insurance. If you have multiple students at the high school, each student will need to have their own signed insurance paper but you can send one check for all. Please write all the student’s names on the check or on the envelope so they all get credited for their insurance payment.
Please make sure:
- you and your parent/guardian have filled out the insurance agreement and signed it, if necessary.
- you have the $15 insurance payment with you if you plan to take your chromebook home. (cash or check only, please)
- FRESHMEN: if you still have your junior high chromebook, you will need to turn it in and pay any outstanding tech fines.
All enrolled students must have the current school year’s chromebook insurance paper on file with the High School's Student Tech HelpDesk.
GOOGLE ACCOUNTS FOR GRADES 10-12 WILL BE DISABLED BETWEEN FRIDAY, JULY 26 AND MONDAY, JULY 29.
We will be disabling all 10-12th grade student google accounts between Friday, July 26 and Monday, July 29. Your google account will be enabled after you have:
1) turned in the current school year’s insurance paper
2) paid insurance for the 2019-20 school year (take home) or opted-out of insurance (school use only)
3) have the new Student Acceptable Use Policy on file
If you are doing summer homework for an AP class, your google account will be re-enabled on July 29 so that you can continue to do your summer homework. You will have until the first day of school to turn in your AUP and your insurance or your account will be disabled again.
GRADE 10-12 INSURANCE COLLECTION IS TUESDAY, JULY 30:
We will be collecting chromebook insurance payments for Grades 10-12 on Tuesday, July 30 during schedule pickup/locker assignments. We will be set up in the commons area by the main office. If your chromebook was damaged over the summer, please bring it with you. We will also be accepting /insurance payments during Open House on Monday, August 12. Your google account will not be enabled until your AUP, insurance paper, and money has been turned in. If you choose to opt-out of insurance (school use only - check-in/check-out) your account will be enabled when your AUP and your insurance paper are turned in.
FRESHMAN INSURANCE COLLECTION AND CHROMEBOOK ROLL-OUT IS THURSDAY, AUGUST 1:
Freshman chromebook roll-out will be held in the high school library on Thursday, August 1 during freshman schedule pickup/locker assignments. Last names starting with A-M will start at 8:00 a.m. and N-Z will start at 12:30 p.m. If you still have your junior high chromebook, you will need to bring it with you along with the charger and bag. Also, be prepared to pay any outstanding tech fines from the junior high. You will not receive your high school device until you are cleared by the Junior High Tech.
We will also be accepting Freshman AUPs/insurance payments during Open House on Monday, August 12, but we will not be handing out chromebooks during that time. We will be doing freshman chromebook roll-outs during Study Hall on the first five days of school for those students who did not attend the freshman chromebook roll-out on August 1. Freshmen must turn in their AUP/Insurance paper, turn in their junior high device, and be cleared of any outstanding tech fees with the Junior High before they can be issued a high school chromebook. If freshmen are wanting to take their device home, they also need to pay their $15 insurance fee.
It is the student’s responsibility to get their AUP/Insurance Paper and Insurance money turned in to the HelpDesk in the Library once school starts if they miss the August 1 roll-out day. Freshmen will not be called down to get their chromebook until we have their paperwork and they are cleared by the Junior High.
CURRENT CHECK-IN / CHECK-OUT STUDENTS:
If you are currently in Check-in/Check-out, your chromebook will be available for you to use on the first day of school ONLY IF you’ve turned in your AUP/Insurance paper. Otherwise your google account will still be disabled.
If you are in temporary check-in/check-out because you owe money for a repair, you must pay for the repair as well as turn in the AUP/Insurance paper and insurance money for the current school year before you can take your device home again.
NEW / RETURNING STUDENTS:
New/Returning students can turn in their AUP/Insurance paper and insurance money during schedule pick ups and Open House, but they will not receive a chromebook until after school starts, as their accounts will not be active until the first day of school. We will be calling 10th-12th grade students down to the library for chromebook roll-out during the first two weeks of school. Freshmen will only be called down during Study Hall at first, as we believe it's important freshmen not miss class time the first few days of school. New & Returning students must turn in their signed AUP/Insurance paper and insurance money before they can be issued a chromebook.
It is the student’s responsibility to get their AUP/Insurance Paper and Insurance money turned in to the HelpDesk in the Library. New/Returning students will not be called down to get their chromebook until we have their paperwork.
Are you getting a filter prompt every time you open a new tab? Clear the cache in Chrome. If that doesn't work, Reset Settings on your chromebook.
- Open Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the upper right corner of the window to bring up the menu
- Hover over 'More Tools' and then choose 'Clear Browsing Data'
- Wait for the window to pop up
- Make sure Time Range is set to 'All time'
- Check the boxes next to 'Cookies and other site data' and 'Cached images and files'
- Uncheck any other boxes that might be checked
- Click the 'Clear Data' button and wait a few moments for it to clear the cache
- Close ALL Chrome windows you have open (you must do this step)
- Re-open Chrome and you should not have any more filter prompts
- Go into Settings on your chromebook
- Scroll down to the very bottom of the settings page and click Advanced
- Scroll all the way down again and click Reset Settings. A window will open.
- Click Reset Settings again and let it do its thing. (this may take a few moments)
- Once it's done, click out of the settings window and close out of Chrome. (close all open windows)
- Reopen Chrome and the filter prompt should be gone.
- You might want to sign out of your device and sign back in, as the reset may log you out of your google apps, too.
HP Chromebook Keyboard Issue (certain letters/numbers don't work when you press them)
- Sign out of your account
- Press the Refresh and Power keys at the same time and release them
- The chromebook will restart and the wonky keys should work normally again
- If the keys are still messing up, bring your device to the HelpDesk
Are You Having Trouble Logging Into MathXL?
1) Don't use an old bookmark.
- Instead, search for and go to the mathxlforschool webpage and sign in from there.
If that doesn't work...
2) Reset settings on your Chromebook
- go into Settings
- scroll all the way down to the bottom of the settings page
- click Advanced
- scroll all the way down to the bottom of the settings page again and click Reset Settings
- click Reset Settings again and let it do its thing
- close out of all open windows/tabs
- sign out of the chromebook
- sign back in to the chromebook
- try signing into MathXL again
Is Your Chromebook Shutting Down Instead of Sleeping When You Close the Lid?
Is your Chromebook Shutting Down Unexpectedly While You Are Using It?
- Turn Bluetooth off and see if that fixes the issue.
- Update your device and see if that fixes the issue. (you may have to turn Bluetooth back off)